Monday, June 6, 2011

5 Questions Prospects Are Asking

In my 32 years of involvement in the network marketing industry, I’ve heard tens of thousands of questions. Network marketing is an often misunderstood business and so often the questions have allowed me to help someone gain a greater understanding of this business.

I find that there are some consistent questions that candidates ask (either verbally or in their head), when considering involvement in a network marketing business. The answers to these questions will help them make a decision, so it is critical to know these questions and how to answer them.

In this article, my intention is to introduce five information gathering questions and the typical answers I give to those questions. Since there are many other questions that can and will be asked, I highly recommend that every network marketer sit down with an upline leader and talk about the typically asked questions and how to answer them. Those who learn how to answer the most commonly asked questions, will succeed in business.

Here are the top five information gathering questions:

1. Isn’t this a pyramid?

My answer: “Pyramids are illegal in all fifty states and the business I’m involved in is a legal network marketing business. The primary difference is that, according to the Attorney General (this information is available on most State Attorney General web sites), if this were a pyramid, you would get paid a fee to recruit people into your business. In my business, I only get paid if products are sold from the company to someone within my network – either a customer or associate. Also, in a pyramid scheme, the only people who make money are those who get in first, but in my company everyone has an equal opportunity to make money and become the top income earner in the company. Can you see how this isn’t an illegal pyramid?”

2.  Do people really make money doing this?

Here’s my answer: “Yes, but the only people who do are those who treat this like a business and work at it every day. Money is made when products (services) are sold within your network, so if you want to earn a solid income, you will need to recruit a network of people who are buying and selling products (services). The company provides excellent training and I will be there to help you succeed, but ultimately the success or failure of your business is up to you. So, are you ready to start making money?”

3.  Does this require sales?

I will ask: “Do you enjoy sales?” If they say “no” then I say, “That’s great because you don’t have to be salesperson in order to succeed. This is a business of sharing information and we have great tools that will present the products/services and business to your candidates. All you do is work with those who are interested.” Now, if they say that they like sales, I say, “That’s great, people who are good at sales often do very well in this business.”

4. How much time does this require?

In other words, they’re life is busy and they aren’t sure this will fit. Here’s my answer: “That will depend upon your goals. If you would like to make a few dollars a month, you could probably invest five hours a week or less. However, if you want to develop a full time income, so that you can fire your boss and enjoy more time freedom, then you will need to invest at least 15 hours a week. The great part is that we have tools that will help you leverage that time. Let’s take a look at those tools and then your schedule to see if this is going to work for you.”

5. Do I have to talk with my friends and family?

This usually indicates that they’ve either had some personal experience with network marketing or they’ve talked with someone who has. Here is how I answer this question: “That all depends on whether you care for your friends and family. This can be a life-changing business. Those who succeed enjoy complete time and financial freedom. Do you think any of your friends or family members would like to enjoy either of those?” The candidate will offer a hesitant “yes” and I continue: “That’s great, then let’s only offer this business to those who want the benefits. The best part is that you can provide them with one of our great marketing tools and it will do the presenting. I will be there with you to answer questions and help you help them get started, how does that sound?”

As your candidates ask questions keep in mind that although it can seem confronting, it’s a sign that they are interested. They are asking questions to gain the information necessary in order to make an educated decision. If their questions are effectively answered, the odds of them joining are increased. I have found that one of the primary differences between the top income earners and those who fail in network marketing, is the ability to answer the most common questions.

No comments: