Friday, June 17, 2011

I Don't Have Enough Time

This is one of the most commonly heard objections to building a network marketing business and in the minds of those who are saying it, it's the truth. However, the reality is that if they don't do something different, they will just get busier and busier and behinder and behinder.

For the first 10 to 12 years I was in network marketing, I treated it more like a hobby than a business. In 1995 I decided to get serious and make some money. At that time I was working 60 hours a week, my wife was working 60 hours a week, we were both traveling quite a bit, and we had 5 children at home. I've not encountered too many people busier than we were and we could have legitimately used the not enough time excuse, but we didn't. Instead, we devoted between 10 and 15 hours a week to our business and in 10 months we had replaced my wife's income and she quit her job. In 22 months we had replaced my income and I was able to quit my job and haven't had one since!

I just read that the average American watches five hours of television a day. That's 35 hours and week! And they can't find any time to work a part-time business that could result in total freedom???

Here is how I handle the time objection. When they say they don't have enough time, I say: "You don't have enough time? Tell me about that." I listen and ask questions about their work, such as "Do you commute to work? How long does that take?" "Do you take a lunch break? How long is that?" "Do you watch TV in the evenings or on weekends? How long?" Typically I can find 10 to 15 hours in their schedule. Then I just ask them if they are serious about having a life of freedom - financial and time freedom - a life they can truly enjoy? If they say yes, then we get to work building into their schedule time for their business and then I hold them accountable to that schedule on a weekly basis.

No time is generally an excuse. If we care about people, we can't let them sabotage their life with this excuse, but ultimately they have to make that decision.

No comments: